I got a chance to visit the Tarrant Reginal Water District, and unlike the last visit I got a chance to see their control room, while Laura discussed their coverage area.
Since I wasn’t busy taking pictures on this tour I heard some really interesting facts about their new facility:
- Waste Water is being recycled through a 200 acre wet land treatment system
- 1.47 Million Solar array (powers 50-70% of the buildings usage)
- Repaid in 16-18 years
- Since the water district is a govt. building it was important for them to look into long term improvements with little environmental impacts
- The control room is comprised of several monitors, constantly monitoring the counties lakes and public water usage
- Since water is becoming scares and expensive to move around the water district is working on ways of reducing costs to its community.
I appreciated that the Water District had created several indicatives to encourage it’s employees to practice sustainable working habits, that support environmental improvements.